Friday, June 12, 2009

Thing #7

I did not realize that google had as much to offer as it does. I am guilty of using google as simply a search engine, and leaving it as that. Through this thing, I have learned that there is much more to google.


I think the most valuable tool is Goggle Earth. The picture below was taken from Goggle Earth, and when seen screen size, shows the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which is hard for students to comprehend that there is a mountain range in the Atlantic Ocean. Also as we talk about how Earth had changed over time, this is a great tool for showing a view of Earth, that we don't usually see.


Here is a picture again from Google Earth of the Crab Nebula. You can not only use this for images on Earth, but also for galaxies, stars, nebulas in the universe.









The second feature from google that I find the most useful to myself and my classroom is the Google Advanced Search. When students are researching and they go to google they end up with thousands of pages that they have to search through, and causes the research to take twice as long as it should. With the advanced search, students will be able to narrow down their search to more relevant/useful sites.

I also like that you can search for a specific file format. I am often looking for a specific .pdf or .ppt, and like that I can now search for pages that are only in that format!!! This will save me hours of time searching through google when the new school year begins - THANK YOU!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment