Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Thing #2

As I begin the Library 2 Play, 23 Things, I am nervous about making this commitment to complete all 23 things, but know from looking at the blogs of teachers who have completed that I will grow as an educator, and my students will benefit from this endeavour, so here we go...

While watching the 7 & 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners, the easiest for me was very apparent - Using Technology to Your Advantage. I use the internet in my personal and professional quests for information, and teach my students to use it to their advantage on assignments as well. Over the past two years in my classroom I have moved from the overhead projector to the ACTIVboard and a new document camera. I love that my students and I have a commonality of wanting more technology in our learning and taking small steps to get there, while making sure that the technology we are using is effective. I am excited to brainstorm which of these 23 things can be effective tools of learning for myself and for my students.

The hardest habit in the lifelong learning would be Accepting Responsibility for My Own Learning. I have trouble finding the motivation to push myself into learning something new. Part of the reason I signed up for the 23 Things is to try and work on taking that responsibility for my own learning.

After watching the video, my goal through this journey is to learn new ways to interact with my students and engage them in learning, that takes place outside of the 4 walls of my classroom. I want them to see me as someone who is in touch with their technological world, and to see learning as an exciting adventure that can take place without worksheets and a textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment