Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Thing #10 (11.5 Things)

Where to start... this is my least favorite thing this summer. Honestly I cannot see the benefit of Second Life for myself or my students. I so often see students who have trouble talking to others, or being able to write a formal response on assignments, because they don't practice face to face interaction, or writing in complete sentences. Our students have become so technology savy, and while we should try and meet them there with education, we still need to teach them to interact without technology.

The article, Second Life Education felt like a huge stretch to me, in trying to convince educators to use Second Life. I took two correspondence courses in college, and had they used SL, I might have not taken the class very serious. In my opinion, I think using Slideshare for a presentation has a more professional appeal to it than using SL.

I am thankful to know more about SL, but do not see this as a useful tool in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment