Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Thing #6 (11.5 Things)

This Thing makes me very happy!!!! I love my iPhone, iTouch, and my iPad - yes I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to Apple products - it has been ingrained in me since birth (thanks dad!) Love my iPhone for all it offers, never leave home without it - and use it throughout the entire day for internet access, and Facebook! My iPad is in my purse at all times as well, love that I can carry 20 books with me everywhere I go!

The iPad has been a wonderful addition to my classroom. The app that I was able to use right off the bat, was Keynote. Just hooked up the iPad to my projector and I was on my way! As a couple of my students also purchased iPads, I wasn't sure how they would be useful to my students in my room. However, for our end of the year vocabulary test, which contained 100 definitions, one student requested to use his iPad, with the Flashcards Deluxe ($3.99) to make all of his flashcards. I asked him to show me how the app worked, and when he was finished explaining, I allowed him to use it in class. I would not require flashcards on an iPad or iTouch, since not all students have one, but for those who do - I loved that they were excited about making them, and that they are with them at all times (unlike regular notecards).

A few other apps that I have on all of my devices are:
  • Easy Grader - for those grading moments when I don't have my real ex-grader with me
  • Periodic Table - can use to find out how elements are used in your daily life, and also give basic characteristics of each element
  • Animoto - pictures can be taken on my iPhone and then directly loaded up to Animoto, and a movie is ready in seconds - no computer needed!
  • Heat - a temperature converter (when I don't require that they work it out by hand)
  • My Planet - the promethean (company who makes our Activboards) app
  • Mosquito - I used this app to show students the different frequencies that can be heard by students, and not by teachers - this tied into our unit on sound waves
  • NASA - great source of pictures and up to the minute news from NASA
  • Space Images - great source of pictures
  • Science Glossary - a great list of terms that are used on the middle school and high school level; it can be randomized, or used to look up terms while reading
  • 101 Science - quick multiple choice questions that are on a middle school level - a good app for students who finish their work a few minutes before the bell (however there aren't tons of questions, but the ones there are good)
I will say the concern that I have with using these devices in class is monitoring what the students are doing - when you can't easily roam the room and glance to see the screen. I actually had a student once update their Facebook status from their phone in class - commenting how boring science was that day - and they were one of my Facebook friends :) Being able to read the status, I was able to have a conversation with the student, and I have been much more careful

I love that our schools have these devices to use, and love that our students get excited about them as well!!! (My favorite thing so far!)

3 comments:

  1. I think your concern for keeping students focused on their learning is a valid one. I also agree however that there is a great potential for allowing students to use these devices in class. Our school had new iTouch devices last year and I heard over and over from them that they wanted a turn to use them as well. (Unfortunately that did not happen last year, but they will have access this year.) I'm in favor of any technology that advances the teaching process and keeps the students motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have downloaded most of your list my personal phone. These are great aps and very useful for the classroom. Always a concern is monitoring the students and keeping them focused. Our students went crazy of the itouches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the list of additional apps that you find useful. I think it is wonderful that your student was excited enough about using the app to make flash cards that he approached you about being able to use it. I just recently got an iPod touch and have been browsing apps for personal and classroom use.

    ReplyDelete