As for teachers creating videos that can be uploaded to a server, I think this has so much potential! So many times when I am explaining a lab to my classes, each of the 6 classes get a slightly different explanation (and occasionally I think I have said something, but that was another class - not the one I am in now..). If I film the beginning explanation of a lab and show the to my classes, they each get the same information, presented in the same way, and I don't forget to give them all information needed. It also allows for the students to revisit that explanation in class (if computers are available in the room) or at home when they are completing their lab write up. Also great for students who are absent and come in to make up labs before or after school - they get the same info, not an abbreviated version.
My classroom is part of a grant that received flip cameras and macbooks. One of the requirements was for the students to create a video using the cameras, and edit them in iMovie, then post them on a server. I was unsure how this was going to go, but since TAKS was over and we had time to figure it out - I ended up loving this project!
My students knew from the beginning that their videos would be accessible by anyone, so they took it very serious - and made videos that I was proud of. The only guidelines that I gave them, were that the video had to be at least 4 minutes long, must include an activity/experiment, and have correct information. They also had to create everything themselves, the could not take any images or pictures from the internet. I have included one of the videos that I enjoyed, because the students had great information, but also made me laugh!
Had I not done this project with my students, this thing would have scared me - but having done this with my students, I realize how connected students can become to videos that are teacher made, and to their own videos!
No comments:
Post a Comment